Citizens of both established democracies and the world’s most repressive regimes have become less free in recent years, with 8 in 10 people living in “Partly Free” or “Not Free” countries, according to the Freedom House. While democratic Ukraine’s fierce resistance has galvanized a steadfast international response, efforts by democracy champions to turn the tide on authoritarianism and build inclusive, multigroup democracy remain siloed—segmented by national boundaries.
Keseb a new global nonpartisan nonprofit organization, and the SNF Agora Institute at Johns Hopkins University have partnered to host the inaugural Global Democracy Champions Summit. The summit will create a forum for democracy entrepreneurs, activists, academics, journalists, philanthropists, and policy makers to uplift compelling ideas, share insights across national boundaries, and create a global network of activists and civil society leaders committed to building inclusive, 21st century democracies.
Sessions will include: the state of global democracy; battling the effects of conspiracy theory and disinformation; building enduring people power; imagining a co-governance model; entrepreneurship as a vehicle for building inclusive and multigroup democracies; and the global youth movement for democracy.
- Tareq Alani, Chief Product Officer, PushBlack
- Anne Applebaum, Senior Fellow, School of Advanced International Studies and the SNF Agora Institute; Staff Writer, The Atlantic
- Ian Bassin, Co-Founder and Executive Director, Protect Democracy
- Jagdeep Chhokar, Founding Member and Trustee, Association for Democratic Reforms
- Akunna Cook, Deputy Assistant Secretary, Bureau of African Affairs, U.S. Department of State
- Hahrie Han, Inaugural Director of the SNF Agora Institute, Professor of Political Science, and Faculty Director of the P3 Research Lab at Johns Hopkins University
- Gabriel Marmentini, Co-Founder and Executive Director, Politize!
- Koketso Moeti, Founding Executive Director, amandla mobi
- Tulaine Montgomery, Co-CEO, New Profit
- Yascha Mounk, Associate Professor of the Practice of International Affairs, School of Advanced International Studies and the SNF Agora Institute
- Farida Nabourema, Executive Director of the Togolese Civil League
- Nick Penniman, Founder and CEO, Issue One
- Salil Shetty, Vice President, Global Programs, Open Society Foundations
- Lisa Witter, CEO, Apolitical Foundation
- Uzra Zeya, Under Secretary of State for Civilian Security, Democracy, and Human Rights
For detailed information about the summit sessions and speakers, please visit this page.