About the Student Grant Program
The SNF Agora Institute awards grants to Johns Hopkins University students and student organizations whose work complements the institute’s mission of strengthening global democracy through civic engagement and inclusive dialogue. The institute will award up to $1,000 per selected applicant so that students and student groups can pursue research, unpaid internships, and other projects, as well as host programming and travel to academic events. SNF Agora will award up to $5,000 total in student grants per semester.
Please note that student groups who wish to apply for an SNF Agora Student Grant must be recognized by Leadership Engagement & Experiential Development.
The SNF Agora Institute reserves the right not to award all of the semester’s grant money, dependent upon quality and number of applications.
Use of Grant Funds
Examples of acceptable uses of grant funds include, but are not limited to:
- Travel to attend conferences, workshops, and other events that are academic in nature and align with the institute’s mission
- Research projects that are relevant to SNF Agora’s mission and work
- Unpaid internships (during the fall and spring semesters) that relate to the mission of the institute
- Operational costs (such as room rentals, catering costs, A/V fees, etc.) for student groups to host on-campus events and programs
- Travel expenses for student groups to bring speakers to campus for student-facing events and programs
Examples of unacceptable uses of grant funds include:
- Projects required for a course or academic curriculum such as a dissertation or thesis
- Operating budget for Johns Hopkins University recognized student groups
- Speaker fees for events and programs
Applications are due by 11:59 p.m. ET on Wednesday, October 4, 2023.
Applicants should email their written proposals to email@example.com. All proposals should be submitted as a PDF document and the narrative portion should not exceed 500 words.
Questions regarding grants or the grant application process should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All current Johns Hopkins undergraduate and graduate students, at any of the university’s academic divisions, or
- Student groups from any of the university’s campuses or academic divisions, though groups must be recognized by Leadership Engagement & Experiential Development.
Applicants should submit a grant proposal that includes the following:
- A brief description of the project, event, internship, research, or travel
- How the proposed use of funds will support the mission of the SNF Agora Institute
- How the proposed use of funds will support the applicant’s personal, professional, and/or academic development, or support the student group’s advancement
- Goals and expected outcome
- An itemized budget and total requested funding
For a research award, please also include:
- The research project timeline
- How the research findings will be used and distributed
- The name, title, and contact information of the faculty adviser associated with the research project
For group projects, please also include:
- Name and JHU affiliation of project team leaders and team members
- Project timeline
- The name, title, and contact information of the faculty adviser associated with the project
For travel awards, please also include:
- List of Johns Hopkins University students who will be traveling
- Name of the affiliated JHU student group (when applicable), which must be recognized by Leadership Engagement & Experiential Development
- General travel information such as destination, timing, and reasons for travel
- The name, title, and contact information of the involved faculty mentor/adviser
For unpaid internship awards, please also include:
- Written confirmation from your employer confirming the status of your internship with projected hours and role
Selected applicants will be required to:
- Schedule an initial consultation with the SNF Agora Institute to review budget and implementation plan.
- Submit a final report within 14 days of the completion of the event, project, or activity. Photo and/or audio/video records are encouraged but not required.
- Acknowledge the SNF Agora Institute on all relevant materials relating to the project, event, etc.
- Submit brief monthly status reports until the project, internship, event, research, etc. is finished.
- For travel awards, applicants will be required to sign a student consent form, agreeing to comply with all state and university policies while off-campus.
- Student organizations applying for this grant must be recognized by Leadership Engagement & Experiential Development. If your organization is not recognized, please contact email@example.com to inquire about that process.
Grant applications will be reviewed by institute staff.