About the SNF Agora Institute
The SNF Agora Institute is a multi-disciplinary academic and public forum dedicated to strengthening global democracy by improving and expanding civic engagement and inclusive dialogue, and by supporting inquiry that leads to real-world change. By building integrated partnerships with scholars, practitioners, students, and the public, we use research to identify and sharpen strategic choices that people around the world can make to realize the promise of democracy. We draw our name and inspiration from the ancient Athenian agora, a central space in the life of the city that became a place of open conversation and debate for all citizens.
About the SNF Agora Student Engagement Board
The SNF Agora Student Engagement Board (SEB) was founded in fall 2019. Each year, SNF Agora selects a cohort of Johns Hopkins students to serve on the board. Board members are selected in the spring to serve during the following academic year. Incoming freshmen may apply for the opportunity at the beginning of the fall semester.
The Student Engagement Board meets 1-2 times per month throughout the fall and spring semesters. Board members are expected to commit approximately 2-4 hours of their time each week. Actual hours of participation may be less each week depending on the needs of the board and the institute. Participation is open to both graduate and undergraduate students. Board members will serve a one-year term that will be renewable upon mutual agreement.
The Student Engagement Board works with SNF Agora faculty, visiting fellows, and staff, to raise awareness about and participate in the development of our mission and presence on campus and in the broader community. Additionally, in an ongoing capacity, board members:
- Provide insights on ways that SNF Agora can embed/become relevant to the larger student population
- Serve as SNF Agora representatives on campus, including leading efforts to engage relevant student groups, programs, etc.
- Connect SNF Agora with students for collaborations, outreach, engagement
- Support efforts to create SNF Agora programming, events, and activities for broader community
- Provide support for marketing and production of SNF Agora’s events and other activities
- Engage in select focus groups to provide student perspective on projects (such as the design of the new building with Renzo Piano Building Workshop, the development of relevant curricular and extracurricular offerings, specific program efforts, etc.)
- Have access/opportunity to engage with SNF Agora visitors, faculty, and distinguished scholars, at special events, dinners, etc.
- Provide mentorship to new members and potential members of the Student Engagement Board
- Plan new initiatives, events, activities, and programs based on the the desires of the SEB
- Serve as student ambassadors for SNF Agora Visiting Fellows. SEB members support Visiting Fellows during their time at Johns Hopkins University by acting as ambassadors to help fellows navigate university life, introducing them to the student community and providing other support as needed. In exchange, they have the opportunity for mentoring opportunities as they develop one-on-one relationships with the Visiting Fellows. Visiting Fellows rely on these selected SEB members to help them with a variety of tasks– from assisting with research projects , to promoting and staffing events and programs, to supporting a fellow’s course instruction.
We are not accepting applications for the Student Engagement Board at this time.
If you have any questions, please email SNFAgoraApplications@jhu.edu.